Saturday, January 28, 2012

2012 - Year of the Dragon!

Chinese New Year is the most important traditional Chinese holiday, it is also known as the "Spring Festival" in China. It marks the beginning of the spring season and the end of the winter based on the Chinese lunar calendar.  The festival begins on the first day of the lunar calendar and ends with the Lantern Festival which is on the 15th day.  Chinese New Year's Eve is a day where Chinese families gather for a reunion dinner.

2012, the 4709th Chinese year, is the year of the Dragon. Dragon is the only mythological creature in the Chinese zodiac of the 12-year cycle of animals.


I went back to Beijing my home town for Chinese New Year with my family.  It was a wonderful five days in Beijing visiting relatives and childhood friends. My parent's home is decorated with red color paper-cuts and couplets with popular themes of happiness, good fortune and longevity.  On the Eve of Chinese New Year, I had the super feast with my family, the night ended with fireworks.

I wish everyone a prosperous and happy Year of the Dragon!

No comments:

Post a Comment